Glossary of Terms
AFUE - (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency)-this rating reflects how efficiently a gas furnace converts fuel to energy. An AFUE of 90 means that approximately 90% of the fuel is utilized to provide warmth to your home, while the remaining 10% escapes as exhaust.
Capacity - this refers to the output or capability of a heating and air conditioning system; normally these capacities are rated in BTU's. The higher the number, the more efficient the unit and the lower the operating cost.
HSPF - (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor) this rating that reflects how efficiently the heating mode of a heat pump operates over an entire heating season; the higher the number, the more efficient the unit and the lower the operating cost.
Matched System - this term designates a heating and air conditioning system where all of the components are matched in capacity and efficiency. A Matched System performs better, more efficiently and lasts longer.
MERV - (minimum efficiency reporting value) this term is the measurement of the effectiveness of air filters. The rating scale is from 1 to 16. Higher MERV ratings correspond to a greater percentage of particles captured on each pass, with a MERV 16 filter capturing more than 95% of particles.
SEER - (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) this rating that measures the cooling efficiency of a heat pump or air conditioner; the higher the number the more efficient the unit and the lower the operating cost.
Variable Speed - this refers to the fan motor inside of a higher efficiency indoor or outdoor unit. The motor is designed to change its speed based on your home's changing heating and air conditioning requirements. Working in conjunction with your thermostat, a variable speed motor keeps the appropriate temperature air circulating throughout your home, reducing temperature variances and cold spots or hot spots. This unit also increases dehumidification needed and, because it usually runs at a lower speed, is much quieter.
Call Alro today at (314) 427-9932 or (636) 947-7072 to receive a
click to see rating